This version of the classic Vietnamese beef stew known as Bo Kho combines beef short ribs, onions, carrots, squash and tomatoes with aromatic spices and herbs in a NUCU Stock Pot. The end result is an ethnic comfort food classic that with sooth the soul.
- 2 ea. Star anise
- 3 cups Egg noodles, cooked and cooled fresh basil, cilantro, sliced chili peppers, lime wedges for garnish
- 3 cups Rice noodles, cooked, cooled
- 2 cups Butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 3 cups Beef stock
- 1 can (15 ozs.) Diced tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp. All-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. Tomato paste
- 3 large Carrots, cut into large chunks
- 1 piece Fresh ginger (1”), peeled
- 6 large Shallots, halved
- ¼ cup Soy sauce
- 1 ea. Cinnamon stick
- 2 lbs. Boneless beef short ribs
- 1 Tbsp. Lemon zest
- 1 tsp. Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ½ tsp. Chinese five spice seasoning
- 2 Small Hot chili peppers, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp. Fish sauce
- 1 Tbsp. Dark brown sugar
- 4 cloves Garlic, chopped
In a large bowl, whisk together soy sauce, garlic, brown sugar, fish sauce, hot chili peppers, Chinese five spice seasoning, pepper and lemon zest. Add beef and toss well to coat completely. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
Meanwhile, in a NUCU 4 Quart Stock Pot, combine cinnamon stick, star anise, shallots, ginger and carrots over medium heat. Pan roast for 10-15 minutes turning occasionally until shallots, ginger, and carrots are somewhat charred. Transfer mixture to a bowl and set aside. Do not wash stock pot.
Pre-heat stock pot over medium heat. Add half of the marinated short ribs to the pan, making sure not to over crowd pan. Brown meat on all sides. Transfer to a plate and set aside. Repeat with remaining short ribs. Add reserved short ribs back to stock pot with the rest of the short ribs. Reduce heat to low. Stir in tomato paste and flour and stir quickly to coat all meat. Be careful not to burn mixture. Cook for 1 minute.
Add diced tomatoes, beef stock and reserved shallot mixture, setting aside carrots to add later. Cover and cook for 1 hour.
Add reserved carrots and squash. Cover and cook for 30 minutes longer. Season to taste with salt. Serve in shallow bowls with cooked noodles, basil, cilantro, chili peppers (optional) and fresh lime wedges.