This version of the classic Vietnamese beef stew known as Bo Kho combines beef short ribs, onions, carrots, squash and tomatoes with aromatic spices and herbs in a NUCU Stock Pot. The end result is an ethnic comfort food classic that with sooth the soul.
- ¼ cup Soy sauce
- 1 piece Fresh ginger (1”), peeled
- 3 large Carrots, cut into large chunks
- 1 Tbsp. Tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp. All-purpose flour
- 1 can (15 ozs.) Diced tomatoes
- 3 cups Beef stock
- 2 cups Butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 3 cups Rice noodles, cooked, cooled
- 6 large Shallots, halved
- 2 ea. Star anise
- 1 ea. Cinnamon stick
- 4 cloves Garlic, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. Dark brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. Fish sauce
- 2 Small Hot chili peppers, finely chopped
- 1 ½ tsp. Chinese five spice seasoning
- 1 tsp. Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. Lemon zest
- 2 lbs. Boneless beef short ribs
- 3 cups Egg noodles, cooked and cooled fresh basil, cilantro, sliced chili peppers, lime wedges for garnish
In a large bowl, whisk together soy sauce and next 7 ingredients. Add beef and toss well to coat completely. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
Meanwhile, in a NUCU 4 Quart Stock Pot, combine cinnamon stick, and next 4 ingredients over medium heat. Pan roast for 10-15 minutes turning occasionally until shallots, ginger, and carrots are somewhat charred. Transfer mixture to a bowl and set aside. Do not wash stock pot.
Pre-heat stock pot over medium heat. Add half of the marinated short ribs to the pan, making sure not to over crowd pan. Brown meat on all sides. Transfer to a plate and set aside. Repeat with remaining short ribs. Add reserved short ribs back to stock pot with the rest of the short ribs. Reduce heat to low. Stir in tomato paste and flour and stir quickly to coat all meat. Be careful not to burn mixture. Cook for 1 minute.
Add diced tomatoes, beef stock and reserved shallot mixture, setting aside carrots to add later. Cover and cook for 1 hour.
Add reserved carrots and squash. Cover and cook for 30 minutes longer. Season to taste with salt. Serve in shallow bowls with cooked noodles, basil, cilantro, chili peppers (optional) and fresh lime wedges.